I surprised my boyfriend with a tasty treat on New Year's Day and I hit a home run with this Blackberry Stuffed French Toast. At first I doubted the amount of cinnamon in this recipe but I took a leap of faith and it turned out wonderfully. What a sweet start to 2009.
• ½ cup milk
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 eggs • ½ cup blackberry puree
• 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 4-6 slices of French toast bread (I used Texas Toast)
• butter • confectioners sugar for dusting
• ground nutmeg, for topping
• In a bowl, whisk milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and eggs until well blended. Set aside. • In a separate bowl, cream together blackberry puree and cream cheese until smooth.
• Slice each piece of bread in half horizontally. Make ‘sandwiches” by slathering the cream cheese mixture in the middle between each halved slice.
• Melt butter over medium heat on a griddle. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, then place on the griddle.
• Cook until each side is well browned.
• Dust with confectioners sugar and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Serve warm with maple syrup.
*Adapted from AllRecipes.com user LADYHEN76's Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast