August 19, 2008

Summer Peach Cobbler



My mom goes the the farmer's market in her town every Saturday and since my boyfriend and I just moved into our new apartment, she's been gifting us food nearly every time we see her. I've had about five peaches in my fridge since I received them and tonight I decided I need to use them before they went bad and moldy. Alas, summer peach cobbler! I did a Google search for "basic peach cobbler" and ended up at Epicurious. I used the Peach Cobbler recipe from Gourmet's September 1999 issue, see below for complete recipe (courtesy of Epicurious.com and Gourmet Magazine).

This recipe took me nearly no time at all. I had mixed the dry ingredients together a few days ago when I originally planned to make this so all I needed to do with slice the peaches and add the butter to the dry ingredients, very hands off. I took a few photos of the process and finished product. Once I find my USB reader for my memory card, I'll update this post with photos. I'm bringing the leftovers to work in the morning. I think I'm going to have some new friends come tomorrow!

peach cobbler

Gourmet | September 1999

Ingredients

Active time: 20 min. Start to finish: 45 min.

6 large peaches, cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
For biscuit topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

Preparation

Cook peaches:
Preheat oven to 425°F.

Toss peaches with sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a 2-qt. nonreactive baking dish and bake in middle of oven 10 minutes.

Make topping while peaches bake:
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.

Remove peaches from oven and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Bake in middle of oven until topping is golden, about 25 minutes. (Topping will spread as it bakes.)

No comments: